FURever Homes

12:00 AM


FURever Homes


This week's post is very personal and special to me. I've been wanting to write a post like this for months now. I have been an animal lover my entire life and the passion has carried on through my adult life. For months Matt and I had been discussing adopting a senior dog. I kept getting this itch that I could be doing more, I SHOULD be doing more to help with animal homelessness, abandonment, abuse and neglect. We chose to adopt but if adoption isn't right for you, you can still help! Volunteer your time, sponsor a pet or donate to help organizations that foster, rescue, and care for these amazing animals!




I was searching for a senior dog on some of the local rescue websites and came upon Lady's bio. She is a 10 year old Shih-Tzu that was surrendered by her owners because she was going blind (and is completely blind now). In my mind, it doesn't get more heartless than that.  


Their loss is OUR GAIN though. Lady has been an amazing little helper. She insisted on helping me get organized! 


There are a lot of misconceptions with senior dogs and I have to say Lady shatters that stereotype! She is energetic, playful, and the sweetest little doggie anyone could ever dream for and she has so much life still in her. I had my heart set on a Shih-Tzu because I had one growing up and she was the love of my life. I still think about her today and miss her dearly. I am happy though to be able to give Lady the same life we gave Piper. 


Lady is an intellectual and is loving the new Harry Potter book!


She enjoys having coffee in bed with her mummy


...and had a blast at a picnic watching her sister Ezra play ball!


Bit of a show-off huh? 
Or just one talented pup! ;) 


Advice from a rescued pup to you:

1. We will love you furever and want you to do the same. So when we get old, remember its biology and i'll be your buddy as you age too!

2. We understand your circumstances change and life just happens but please remember we are a part of your family too. If you need to rehome us, please ensure its a loving furever home.

3. When you adopt us, please ensure its been a well thought out decision and not a spur of the moment idea. We CAN be a lot of work but are well worth the effort, you just have to be willing to keep your commitment.

4. Research! Write a list of your requirements for a pet. If you're gone 10+ hours a day, a cat might be a good option for you. If you're typically tired after work, a less active dog breed would be the better option for you. Allergies? There are hypoallergenic dog breeds!

5. Don't forget the SENIORS! Skip the puppy step and go straight to the furever family member step. Older dogs are more likely to be house-broken, matured out of their chewing stage, and know their basic "sit" and "stay" commands meaning less work for you! 

Truly considering adoption? Check your local shelters or rescues for the best friend you've been waiting for! Here is a good website that will show you the adoptable animals in your area. 

Thank you all so much for reading this very special and personal post. 
Adopt don't Shop!


OR if you want to shop... check out these awesome projects that benefit shelter and rescue dogs! There are so many ways to help if you're not quite at that stage of adopting a pet yet. Love you guys!


 By purchasing this t-shirt  I fed 7 shelter dogs! Its sort of a "Toms Shoes" theory. Every purchase made through i Heart dogs will generate a profile that provides food, care and shelter for animals in need. I bought mine! Which will you choose?

A friend gifted me this amazing Pinot Noir wine that helps homeless pets find their forever Chateau. Check out their website at Chateau La Paws.




You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. How cute this Dog!
    If you want to more energetic, playful your dog, then you can take best cbd treats for dogs .

    ReplyDelete

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images