A Day At Krohn Conservatory

12:00 AM


The Butterfly Show


A 55 degree rainy May day brought Matt (my boyfriend/cameraman) and myself to Krohn Conservatory's annual butterfly show. In Cincinnati, we can often have spring weeks with 75 degree highs and the very next day is a high of 50. Cincinnatian's have to be on their toes and ready to pull the warm clothes back out with a days notice. However this allows us to get creative in mixing our new warm weather pieces with those of winter's past. I have always layered my clothes and really enjoy the interest that layering fabrics and mixing prints can bring. I bought this Loft dress for this spring/summer season and was still able to create an outfit for this chilly May day. 



My necklace is vintage 2012 but I've found some similar statement collar necklaces from Bauble Bar. 



Layer's upon layers. I chose to put this combination together to reflect a casual and effortless outfit that will not only keep me warm but provide some hint of my personality. I have a lot of neutral clothing i.e.; navy pants, white long sleeve shirts and a number of "go-to" basics. In order to balance the  necklace and the bag with my outfit I wanted to wear a pattern. I took a ton of physics classes in school and have instilled in my brain that "balance" is a key ingredient in design. I often follow the same rules with clothing and with any home decor choices. A white shirt, and navy pants with some gray heels is a pretty mutated base. Without the striped dress (in my opinion) my cherry red satchel and Fabrege-esque necklace would have completely dominated the look. Perhaps sometimes this is what we go for? However, to an afternoon butterfly show I was not looking to do so.



My Kate Spade Pippa Bag is also a vintage closet staple for me, here are some other options;





Highly recommend hitting up the show if you're in Ohio or just visiting. A family-friendly adventure to experience the world's most beautiful and rare creatures!


Happy Shopping!


In lieu of my once monthly surprise Wednesday post for the month of May,  I am bringing you not one but TWO EXTRA days of features focusing on my DAAP Fashion Show designers! So for Memorial Day Weekend I am bringing you the first of three features starting May 27th and the last feature posting May 29th. I am bringing you Inside The Designer's Mind, seriously… you do NOT want to miss this!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images